The NY Strip is one of our favorite cuts over here at Seasonal Roots. It is a boneless, tender cut from the beef loin, with a slight fat cap for all that added flavor. And it’s a breeze to prepare, so don’t be intimidated, we will walk you through it! We will be pan-searing and oven finishing these steaks.
You will need:
- 2 NY Strip Steaks
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large cast iron pan
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP Herbed Butter
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F.
- Let your steaks come to room temperature before preparing. Set out on the counter for up to 30 minutes while you work on the rest of the meal.
- While the steaks are coming to room temperature, season them. We suggest keeping it simple with a generous sprinkle of salt & pepper on all sides.
- Bring your pan up to a high heat and add your olive oil. When the oil is hot, place the steaks in the hot skillet and cook, without moving, till golden brown, 2-3 minutes for each side. Then rotate to the fat-cap side and sear for another 30 seconds.
- Transfer the skillet to the hot oven. Roast the steak to medium rare, 3-4 minutes (120-125F). For medium, roast 4-5 minutes (130-135F).
- Remove the steaks from the oven and place on a plate or cutting board to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the still hot pan, add your butter to melt it and deglaze all the caramelized juices.
- Top steaks with butter and serve!
About Seasonal Roots
Since 2011, Seasonal Roots’ online farmers market has connected Virginia families with local family farmers who use sustainable, humane practices. Our neighborhood market managers – who believe in living better through scrumptious, healthy eating, being kind to animals, protecting the environment, and spreading joy – home-deliver freshly harvested produce, pastured eggs, grass fed dairy and meat, plus artisan fare. We empower our members to eat better and live better with more nutritious, flavorful food that’s good for us and good for the planet. More info at seasonalroots.com.