- 1 Cup Marsh Hen Mill Sea Island Red Peas or Black-eyed Peas
- Give the peas a good rinse.
- Transfer the peas to a jar or pot and cover with water and stir in the salt. Let soak overnight, up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, drain the peas and transfer to a pot. Add enough water to go about 3″ above the peas.
- Add salt. Bring to a boil and let cook for 15 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, reduce the heat to low so that the peas are just below a simmer. Add 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Cook the peas until soft, about 40-45 minutes, occasionally tasting to reach the desired texture.
- If serving immediately, drain the peas through a fine mesh sieve and place them in a bowl.
- If storing, allow the peas to cool completely in their liquid, and then store in their broth in the fridge for up to 4 days, or
- freeze for up to three months.
*Cooking time may vary depending on the stove top and the conditions in the kitchen. Elevation and humidity effect cooking times.
About Seasonal Roots
Since 2011, Seasonal Roots’ online farmers market has connected Virginia families with local family farmers who use sustainable, humane practices. Our neighborhood market managers – who believe in living better through scrumptious, healthy eating, being kind to animals, protecting the environment, and spreading joy – home-deliver freshly harvested produce, pastured eggs, grass fed dairy and meat, plus artisan fare. We empower our members to eat better and live better with more nutritious, flavorful food that’s good for us and good for the planet. More info at seasonalroots.com.